St Mary's Church

St Mary The Virgin is part of the Upper Alde Benefice. Click here for more details. Weekly services may be found on the Events page.

The Rector has announced his retirement

After 17 years and much consideration, the rector, Revd. Jonathan Olanczuk, has decided to retire. He has been dealing with a variety of health problems and feels that he can not longer fulfil all the committments required of him. His last service as Rector will be April 30th 2017 which is the second Sunday after Easter. Following the service, there will be a lunch held in the Village Hall to which every one is invited, from 1pm. See Events page for more details.

The Reverend Martin Percival will be taking services in the Upper Alde Benefice from 1st May 2017. Any funerals after that date should be referred to him. His telephone number is 01728 668537.

************************************************************

The Church has many interesting features including the famous SCAIPOD and the tomb of LORD and LADY BARDOLPH. It has been mentioned in many publications. For example:

www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/Dennington.htm

The Bells of St. Mary's

The bells of St Mary's can often be heard ringing out over the countryside. There are regular bell practices to help hone the skills of the bell ringers.

Dennington is fortunate to have a magnificent ring of 6 bells. The oldest of the bells date back to the early 15th century. It is known that the Church has had a ring of bells since 1553 and they were last re-hung in 1915.

In 2008 an appeal was launched to restore the bells to their former glory and the organisers were pleased to announce that by 2009, the sum of £75000 had been raised.

Early 2010 saw the welcome return of the bells and a rededication service was led by Bishop Nigel Stock. The Church was filled with parishioners, friends and family from near and far to celebrate the successful venture. It is hoped that the bells will be enjoyed by all for years to come.

Restoration of the Clock Face

In conjunction with the bell restoration it was decided to refurbish the Clock on the North wall of Dennington Church Tower. It has been restored to the original blue and gold and looks wonderful.

The PCC would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this project.